Core Golf & Life Skills
At First Tee – Greater Charleston, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.
By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building curriculum, we create learning experiences that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do.
Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college and even their careers.
What will my child learn?
Your child will learn skills that stay with them for life:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
- Fundamental golf skills and techniques
How will my child advance through the program?
At each age-based program level, participants will engage with 5 Key Commitments while mastering golf fundamentals:
- Pursuing Goals
- Growing through Challenge
- Collaborating with Others
- Building Positive Self-Identity
- Using Good Judgement
- Be active and have fun with peers in a safe and encouraging manner
- Build inner strength and self-confidence
- Learn to play golf
- Focus on building relationships with other players while exploring the game of golf
- Explore character concepts in active and collaborative ways that are valuable on and off the course
- Develop golf skills and enthusiasm for the game
- Support positive Game Changing behaviors in fun and meaningful ways
- Explore both golf skills and characters commitments while having fun with peers
- Provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery and growth in golf skills and abilities
- Support growth and development of early adolescents
- Build character and support personal development
- Develop additional golf skills and abilities
- Look toward their future and plan their own paths
- Evaluate, reflect, and apply their understanding of life and golf skills to new situations on and off the course
Where can my child attend an on-course program?
We host spring, summer, and fall 8-week Core Program sessions at eight local golf courses (locations may vary by season):
- Charleston Municipal, James Island
- Patriots Point Golf Links, Mount Pleasant
- Dunes West Golf & River Club, Mount Pleasant
- Shadowmoss Golf Club, West Ashley
- Wescott Golf Club, North Charleston
- The Club at Pine Forest, Summerville
- Berkeley Country Club, Moncks Corner
- Wrenwoods Golf Course, Joint Base Charleston (open only to military families with base access)